Monday, September 15, 2008

Best Friends

BFF...Best friends forever...I feel like a school girl saying that. But Marla is my best friend. We met at church in 2003 I think (...is that right Marla?) It was at a time that I would say was probably one of the lowest points in my life. Waylan was out of work, I was working 2-3 jobs (days, nights, 7 days a week), I couldn't get pregnant for the millionth time, and I needed a good friend. I had lots of friends but not THE friend.

Then we started a one-on-one mentoring/discipleship program at church called Operation Multiplication. I wanted to be a part of it but who was I to be the "Paul" (aka leader)? And I needed a "Timothy" (aka someone to mentor). I knew who Marla was, everyone knew the drummer's wife, but had never actually talked to her. Well I decided she was my Timothy and walked up to her after church one day (totally out of character for me!) to ask if she wanted to do the program. I think I expected her to tell me she wasn't interested or that she would need to think about it. But not so much. She agreed and the next week we had our first meeting. We met once a week and began to build a relationship. She became the best friend I had prayed for.

She is Aunt Marla to my Justine and I am Aunt Cindy to her boys. And can I tell you how excited I am that she will soon experience piggy tails!!!

So here's to you Marla...thanks for being a great friend!

Pic compliments of Melissa...thanks Melissa. I think this may be the first picture we've ever had taken together!


6 comments:

Marla said...

Ahhh...you are my BFF too...lol. The year was 2002 by the way.

Hannah said...

this was so sweet. i miss having a bff. haven't really had once since college but i know God's working on it!

Marla said...

hannah, you can be bff's with us too.

Bones said...

Cindy, that is so precious. That brought tears to my eyes!

Jenn said...

How sweet Cindy! You made me cry!

Melissa said...

It's a great picture of two great people! God is so good to give us BFF. Mine lives way up in the Panhandle. We don't get to see each other much but when we do, it'a always great!