Saturday, September 13, 2008
Power Outage
The last couple of days I began to prepare for Ike and the possibility of a power outage. I had candles and flashlights strategically placed around the house. I stocked up on water, food that didn't need to be cooked and also bagged up some extra ice. I even went so far as to purchase some fuel cooking cans that you would use while camping. When I awoke this morning and learned Ike went east I was glad I wasn't going to actually need to use any of these things. That was until 9:30pm tonight when darkness fell over Pheasant Creek (my subdivision). Waylan was still out of town but on his way home, Justine was in bed but not yet asleep (the results of a LONG saturday afternoon nap!) and I was doing dishes. For a while now Justine has insisted on sleeping with the lights on and there are a total of 3 night lights upstairs for her. When the darkness came so did the screams for Mommy. So I brought her downstairs and told her she could go to sleep in my bed and I gave her a mini flashlight to make her feel better. Well the flashlight equated to a toy very quickly and sleeping was no where in sight. I left her in my bed anyway. I finished the dishes, folded some laundry in the dark, talked to Marla via text messaging, and read a scrapbooking book via flashlight. Justine finally fell asleep, flashlight in hand and Waylan arrived shortly after. Turned out to be too shortly after seeing as how she woke up and became very unhappy when he insisted that she go to her bed. He put her in bed anyway, kicking and screaming then went to take a shower by candlelight. I went up to lay with her. She had a deathgrip on my arm until she finally fell asleep. I snuck away and was about to help Waylan in opening windows when on came the lights. That was about 11:30pm. I guess 2 hours with no electricity is nothing compared to what Houston and Galveston are dealing with right now so I won't complain. Waylan saw an accident around the corner so I guess that was our culprit.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
Why were we texting instead of calling anyway?! I started it by buying justine something she already has 2 of!
Post a Comment