Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Adoption Day Anniversary

Two years ago yesterday we stood in a court room and officially became Justine's parents. I was trying to post some pictures from that day here but they were very small for some reason. So to see pics click here. It was an awesome day. We were out of the house at 6:00am if you can believe that. We weren't sure how bad traffic was going to be and this was one event we weren't going to be late for! Because we left so early we had plenty of time to hang out with family and friends that joined us for the occasion. There were several other families in the lobby who were adopting that day also. Our attorney apparently does this ALL the time because he was well versed with the judge. We had never met him before that day. He gave us the run down of how things would go. What he would say, what the judge would say and what we should say. It went off without a hitch. After that day we were given a new birth certificate for her that has our names as her parents. For so many years I never thought my name would be "mother" on a birth certificate. There is not a better feeling than knowing that no one...no one would ever take her from me.

Tonight we went for a walk before Justine's bedtime and I was just watching her. Amazed at how much of a big girl she is. No diapers, very vocal, long hair blowing in her face, prancing as she pushed her baby doll in the baby stroller asking which way to go next. She is growing up so fast. I can't believe I'm planning her 3rd birthday party already. We are teaching her about adoption. The other day we asked her if she was adopted and she said, "No, not yet." Funny stuff. But yesterday I asked her and she said yes she was. I also told her last week that Aunt Marla and Mrs. Jackie had babies in their tummies. Her response was, "I came from someone else's tummy." Smart girl. She listens when we read to her (and when we aren't addressing her for that matter....LOL). We want her to have an understanding from early on that she is adopted and that God chose her to be our child and us to be her parents. She is not a mistake, not unwanted, not abandoned but rather a loved child of God with a big purpose in this world.

Happy Adoption Day sweet girl!

4 comments:

Marla said...

Ahhhhh!!! Justine amazes me everytime I see her. To look at her and see how God protected her for 9 months while she was exposed to so much junk! She is a miracle! God has big plans for her I just know it!!

Melissa said...

Your blog made my cry. What a precious gift God has given you and Waylan. You are so blessed and I am so happy for you all!!
I think it's wonderful that you are teaching her all that you are. You guys are awesome!

Jenn said...

My goodness...how time flies!! I loved looking at the adoption day pictures again. Even as a little one, she looked like the Justine we know today...same facial expressions and everything.

And what an amazing mother you are to Justine. She is truly blessed to have your name on that slot of her birth certificate!

The Spears' said...

I can't believe it has been two years already! It seems not long ago I was visiting you two with your tiny little baby girl. She is growing into such an adorable big girl. I love looking at your pictures on DropShots and now will be looking forward to keeping up with your blog!