Thursday, March 13, 2008

My Ballerina

Justine had her first ballet class tonight. We've been discussing it for a few weeks now and she was excited to go. We got all dressed in her ballet clothes and went to class. When we got there she turned into little miss shy and wouldn't sit down with the other girls to do her stretches. I sat with her (the only Mom doing so!). I tried to sneak away a few times and that didn't work so well. Finally she joined the other girls as they began to march across the floor. Again, she wasn't much into participation. She started playing with her skirt and putting her hands in her skirt. Her teacher thought she needed to go potty (despite the fact she went just before leaving the house and 15 minutes after that when we got to dance class). I kept telling her she didn't need to go and she could finish ballet class first. Then she pulled the "i need to poo poo" trick. She knows that whenever she tells me that I take her to the bathroom every time. So off we went as she had practically announced it to everyone in the room. While there she DID NOT poo poo. So I took the chance to have a little talk with her about participating in ballet, not crying and letting Mommy sit with Daddy. She agreed and we returned to class. When we got back the teacher was showing the girls how to walk on their toes. Justine's turn followed shortly, she participated and did very well. The parents clapped for each girl as she did her thing. Tonight she learned how to stretch, first position, walking on her toes, chasse`, and grand jete`. Justine did great the rest of class and is excited about going again next week.

So now Mommy has homework! Having never taken ballet (not sure why...I took every other kind of dance as a kid) I need to learn some terminology! The teacher was spouting off terms and I was lost. So I'll do some internet searches on ballet terms and we will practice a little every day. I think I'm more excited than she is!

You can see some pictures on our dropshots.

No comments: