Aside from the baby news...I had a doctor's appointment today to discuss the big "S" word...SURGERY! A portion or all of my thyroid will be removed in January. The doc explained that it is a simple surgery all things considered. I will undergo general anesthesia, be sliced open across my neck (ouch!) and they will remove the mass that is attached to my thyroid along with any portion of my thyroid it's attached to. They will check it right then and there for cancer. (I must say, sitting across from a doctor and discussing possible cancer was not a good feeling!) If it does contain cancer then I will undergo a thyroidectomy and be on medication for the rest of my life. If it does not contain cancer they sew me back up. My stitches will be on the inside and glue on the outside. I will be bandaged for several days and have a swollen neck for about a month. I will also be hoarse.
Now for the risks. She explained there are 2 major nerves on either side of the thyroid that control the voice box. Both will be "pissed off" (yes, that's what she said) after surgery and therefore refuse to work causing me to be hoarse. One of the risks is that they damage one of those nerves which would leave me hoarse forever. And a greater risk is that they damage both of those nerves resulting in a permanent airway blockage and a tracheotomy for life. She assured me that has NEVER happened but she must disclose the risk anyway. Needless to say, it still made me a bit uncomfortable. Also around the thyroid are 4 parathyroid glands. They control the calcium in my body and will also be "pissed off" after surgery and refuse to function. So I will take 4 calcium horse pills per day for a week, then 3 a day, then 2 a day, then 1 a day, then the glands begin to work again. I will not be required to stay over night at the hospital. The surgery will take about an hour (or longer if they remove the entire thyroid). She said all people react differently and I will return to work either in 2-3 days or in 1-2 weeks. She obviously can't predict my reaction so those are the two likely options. She said surprisingly it's the anesthesia that will make me the most uncomfortable. Apparently I will be exhausted from it and tire very easily for a while.
After all is said and done I will have a lovely scar (ugh!) that will blend in to the wrinkles in my neck as I age. Translated into Cindy language...ugly scar for a long time as I don't currently have any wrinkles in my neck and don't forsee them forming any time soon.
And last but not least about the thyroid business. Note to self--NEVER google "thyroid surgery photos" again! Now I don't have a weak stomach and it takes A LOT to gross me out. But looking at those pics just about made me lose my lunch. Seriously! I had to chew gum until I could get my hands on some crackers.
I can't leave my entry on such a sour note so let me brag on my little girl for a minute. She can do the following:
- Count to 10 by herself
- Identify many colors (pink (of course), yellow, blue, black, white, purple, green, and orange).
- She loves to cook now and will move anything she can stand on to the counter so she can see. She then says, "I'm cooking!"
- She learned to let the dogs in and out last weekend. Which means she now has access to the outside world. Funny though, she hasn't tried to open her bedroom door at night or in the morning....I wonder when that will click? I'm not telling!
- She can finally say Granny, Paw Paw, Grandma and Grandpa
- Have a phone conversation all by herself (and request who to call!), and
- She said an 8 word sentance last week (yes, Waylan counted). "Daddy, I be right back in a minute!"



No comments:
Post a Comment