Thursday, August 30, 2007

Born again birthday

Yes, this is my second blog today...but don't get used to it.

I was just reading Jennifer's blog about her experience accepting Christ when she was 6 years old. It reminded me that this weekend is my born again birthday. It was Sunday night of Labor Day weekend 1995. Unfortunately I wasn't 6 and I can't believe I made it through childhood, divorced parents, teenage years, college years and marriage without Christ but God is good and late is better than never.

I was in Fredericksburg, Texas, where I tend to be almost every Labor Day weekend (and will be again this weekend). Let me back up and tell you about some events that lead up to this weekend. First of all, Waylan's parent's entire church had been praying that Waylan and I would come to know Jesus. We didn't know this at the time but learning of this soon after accepting Christ proved to me right off the bat that prayer works! They had been praying for months. Secondly, Waylan and I both decided individually that we needed to start going to church. One of us didn't have to convince the other...we both had these feelings of the need and when sharing it with each other began the search for a church we felt comfortable in. As you all know we are Baptist now but started our search in the Methodist church. Thirdly, I worked at a local bank where we lived and had the opportunity to open up accounts for a new pastor in town...the pastor of the local Baptist church. Fourth, another couple from that same church came in to open up accounts for themselves and invited me to church. All a coincidence? I don't think so!

Now for that Labor Day weekend in 1995. My parents live in Fredericksburg now but didn't then. We were down there visiting my aunt and uncle who also live there and also my parents who were preparing to build a house there. On Saturday of that weekend Waylan and I spent many hours with my aunt and uncle. Now this is something that we never do (and I have no idea where my parents were???) so once again...God at work. They are very devout Christians and we spent the day listening to my uncle tell us stories of their Christian life and how God had talked to them and guided them through the years. The stories were amazing. The next morning we attended church with them. The church was without a pastor at the time and my uncle was preaching. This was a very small, country, Assembly of God church. Talk about a strange experience...this is definately a day to remember in my book! We sat on the front row (what were we thinking?). At the end of the service the ENITRE church body (yes, ENTIRE) came to the alter and began speaking in tongues. This was the strangest thing I had ever seen.

Well, God worked on me all weekend and that night when I went to bed I prayed to accept Jesus into my heart. Waylan and I were laying in bed. I don't remember telling Waylan but he remembers that I rolled over and told him that I just became a Christian. I know many people don't "feel" different at the time they accept Him, but I did! I got chills all over my body. It was like I literally felt the Holy Spirit enter my body. I still get those chills today during times when I pray to God. It's like His way of telling me He hears my prayers and will be faithful to answer! It's such a comforting feeling.

To make a long story short...we ended up joining the Baptist church (the one whose Pastor came in to my bank). Waylan and I took a new Christians class and were baptized together on our first wedding anniversary (I know...so sweet). Shortly after that we moved to Wylie and later joined Murphy Road Baptist Church where we've been ever since.

Have a great holiday weekend and take a moment this weekend to reflect on the time when you accepted Christ!

4 comments:

Jenn said...

How cool! I challenge everyone else to post their salvation experience!

Woody said...

that is an awesome story....now I want to hear Waylan's story!!

Anonymous said...

i'm so glad you were born; twice! love you! Cari

Payton said...

mmmm Cindy! Thanks so much for sharing this link with me! God is SO good and SO faithful! And our life stories paint such a beautiful picture of HIS goodness!! I know HE is already at work in our family through you and Waylan, even if you don't see fruit! I'll have to look around and see if mine is typed up anywhere! (If not, I'll type it up when I get a chance and send it to you!) Love you so much!! :0)