Saturday, December 6, 2008

First Scare

Ethan woke up around 9pm tonight. He was crying just like he always does when he's hungry. We made him a bottle and he refused to eat. But also refused to stop crying. Making him happy just wasn't happening. I thought he felt warm so we decided to take his temp. At his age a rectal temp is the only option. So I went upstairs to get the thermometer, thermometer covers and vaseline. We had NO vaseline. So I went to Walgreens for vaseline as well as Tylenol Infant Drops in case he did have a fever.

Sure enough..a high temp for a newborn. 101.2. Ouch. Our paperwork from the doc said to call the doc when his temp is 100.5 or higher. So I called the doc. Luckily our doc was the one on call. We talked for a while about how he was acting. She asked how long he cried before we took his temp. It was 45 minutes which is most likely the reason for such a high temp. He was too worked up. I gave him Tylenol after taking his temp and while talking to the doc we decided to take his temp again. (He had been calm for about 20 min at that point). It was then 99.8. Yea! So we were relieved. She basically said he is most likely just uncomfortable from the shots and letting his colic show it's true colors. He never did eat and eventually fell asleep. We will keep him in our room and watch him over night.

5 comments:

Lyn Kearns said...

Oh how I remember those days of colic with Mason. Glad he eventually fell asleep. Lyn

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry about your scare. Glad he ended up doing okay! Hope to see you tomorrow!

Melissa said...

Poor Baby Ethan. I hope he is doing better. Kiss him for me. :)

Bones said...

Awwwww! One time Jesse cried so hard he was 103! We were in a restaurant and he started crying and by the time I got home it was over 103. I called Mary Pat (on a Saturday of course) and she told me to get him calmed down and then call her back. It was like 99. LOL Who knew crying can take the fever up!?!?! He did have an ear infection, tho.

I just love MP!

Hope he is all better. Sorry about that. Little ones are so pitiful with shots. =0(

Marla said...

I'm glad Emma doesn't have colic. The nurses at Presby told us to check her temp under the arm by the way.