Wednesday, July 23, 2008

What Is It About Dads?

This cracked me up! It was posted on a foster/adoptive board I'm on and I decided to post it here.

What is it about dads? Let's face it. The moms are usually the ones who take care of the kids during the day into the evening. We feed them. We change them. We wipe their noses and their backsides if the need arises. Yet somehow, we are overshadowed by that magical creature called "Daddy". Take yesterday, for example. The kids were hitting, biting, scratching, screaming, pushing, pulling and stabbing each other (okay, that last one is an exageration...but not by much). The new dog is running around tripping over his own legs. All three kids are yelling to watch a DVD and none of them are choosing the same one. My house looks like a war zone. Both boys had to be put in thinking time...twice. It's fire, flood and famine over at our household until...we hear the garage door open. In walks Daddy. Suddenly, a choir of angels is singing. The birds are chirping. The bees are buzzing. I swear a ray of sunshine falls on my husband as he makes his way through the door and into the arms of the three little beings who, just moments before, were playing "wack-a-mole"with my head. It's all hugs and kisses and playing and laughing and dancing. Meanwhile, I am huddled in a corner talking to myself and twitching. I can only glare at my husband and hope he slips on the milk that is in the floor from when the boys decided to have a spitting contest. I don't think they ever decided who won. Oh well...I am going to go and pass out now.

4 comments:

Bones said...

That cracked me up, too! Sometimes Michael comes in and looks around and goes, "What's for dinner?" as if he is surprised there is no piping hot gourmet meal awaiting him! Oh, that! That's all I've thought about ALL DAY! I do try to have everything together when he gets home, but sometimes, life happens and you gotta go with it! We have a joke now about "the maid." He IMs and asks "What's for supper tonight." I respond, "I'm just the homeschool and infant teacher. Let me go ask the maid." That puts it in perspective, right? It got multiple things goin on here!

Jenn said...

That's so funny and so true! Of course, my husband always looks at the mess as if I haven't done a thing all day long!!

Melissa said...

So true!!! The girls have really missed Ted this week. We pick him up tomorrow in College Station at noon. What am I saying, I have missed Ted. I may just jump and shout as well. :)

Tammy said...

=))

Ok. I finally stopped laughing long enough to wipe the tears off my face. This one was soo funny that I had to show Greg. It's never quite that dramatic in our house, but our 3 girls do manage to all want me to hold them at the same time or I have to break up the twins from fighting. They all will only cry to be held by mommy, once held by mommy, they are happy again. But no matter what daddy does, he's just chopped liver.

Yes, they are only 14 months old and they have cat fights already (daddy does get to witness it from time to time). For example, one day Maddie was playing with a toy, Maggie tried to steal it from her. Then Maddie started wacking Maggie with the toy. Yesterday, we had all 3 girls fighting over 1 push&pull cars, so I had to get the 2 extra push&pull cars that I had packed up in the attic. Yesterday, the twins also fought over Geneva's upholstered living room chair. Today, Maggie decided that she wanted to be in the chair that Maddie was sitting. So Maggie just shoved her off the chair. Anyways, I diverged a little. I gotta blog about this. :)

-Tammy