Saturday, June 14, 2008

Nathan's story

We were originally told that Nathan's birthmother dropped him off at the CPS office. That was actually not correct. She gave birth to him in Tyler and didn't want to have anything to do with him. When discharged she attempted to leave without him. That's when CPS got involved. Once they got there she changed her mind, wanted to take him and wouldn't speak to the investigator without an attorney. Birth mom has a history of depression and mental illness and doesn't take her meds properly to control. Birth dad has had 2 other children removed and adopted out to a family outside of his family 7 years ago. Birthparents live with her parents. Her dad has cancer and her mom takes care of him and doesn't want to take care of a baby too.

There will be a court hearing in 2 weeks to decide if CPS's decision to remove is warranted. If not he goes home. If so he stays (but not necessarily permanently). If he doesn't go home the courts begin working with his birth parents to rehabilitate them. This process could take 12-18 months. If they succeed he goes back. If not their rights are terminated and we would adopt him. We could have a long road ahead of us. The investigator told us she doesn't forsee him going back so I'm hanging on to her hunch and praying for God's will. The judge is a woman who doesn't put up with infant neglect and that is definately helpful for us. I'm hopeful but want to be realistic at the same time knowing this may not go our way. In the meantime I will love on this little boy as if he were my own.

I as I sit here typing this...we just experienced the first pee pee fountain experience while diaper changing...and Waylan was the lucky one! Go Dad! And more laundry for Mom.

4 comments:

Jenn said...

He's already home....we'll just be praying God will keep him there!!

Melissa said...

Happy Father's Day to Waylan from Nathan! LOL! My prayers for you guys will continue each and every day. Love ya!

Marla said...

Didn't I tell Waylan to be quick when changing the boy's diaper?!

Anonymous said...

Cindy, I loved seeing all the pictures on Dropshots.

Your family is so beautiful together.